Youth WORK in Trades (SSA)
The SSA Program provides students the opportunity to earn up to 16 high school credits and get credit for work-based training hours that count toward an apprenticeship.
- This program consists of work-based training (up to 480 hours) (with some accompanying assignments and employer evaluations).
- The work must be in a recognized* trade and must be PAID work.
- Students must be between the ages of 15-19.
- Hours accrued can be credited with the ITA* toward your apprenticeship training requirements.
- Students may earn up to 16 high school credits for PAID WORK (480 hours)!
- Upon completion, you may be eligible to earn a $1000 scholarship (must attain a C+ average or higher in your Grade 12 courses).
- During high school, students may concurrently apply to enroll in a District ACE IT program OR, upon graduation students have an opportunity to register in a college/university technical training program for their trade.
*Refer to the Industry Training Authority (ITA) website for a list of apprenticeable trades in BC www.itabc.ca
If interested, contact your school counsellor, Career Information Advisor or the District Career Programs Office (604-668-6000 ext 6072).