The SD38 Youth Train in Trades Metal Fabrication program provides students an opportunity to explore and develop job ready skills in the trade. Students will learn how to construct metal objects that range from furniture to ship parts and industrial boilers. Students must be able to commute to the BCIT Burnaby campus every day to attend class at 7am. It is recommended that students have a driver’s license to get themselves to school. Upon successful completion of this program, along with the required work experience, students will receive the first of four levels towards their Red Seal certification.
- 23 weeks full-time; February – June BCIT Burnaby Campus
- 50% course evaluation is practical and 50% is theory
- receive 20 credits (5 courses) each for grade 12 and BCIT
- earn level 1 technical training with the Industry Training Authority (ITA)
- program includes field trips to work sites